The announcement of Unicard’s Ticketing Hub platform for Transport for Wales (TfW) has been widely covered by transport and fintech publications.
The move will enable contactless EMV card payments on selected train routes and services in Wales, as well as processing payments and ensuring that passengers pay the best available fare.
The Unicard Ticketing Hub platform will mean TfW can become the first UK train operator outside of London to deploy contactless EMV services. The contactless EMV rollout will begin with a pilot scheme running between Newport, Cardiff and Pontyclun. There are plans for a phased expansion of the service to the South Wales Metro area in 2024.
Unicard Ticketing Hub is an integration platform designed to orchestrate several third-party systems. It allows customers to use a payment card or mobile device to tap in and out on validators on rail platforms, or gates at ticket barriers, at the start and end of every train journey.
Online publications that covered the Unicard Ticketing Hub announcement included:
- Rail Business Daily: Unicard deploys contactless rail travel with Transport for Wales
- Finextra: Unicard brings contactless rail travel to Transport for Wales
- Rail UK: Unicard deploys contactless rail travel with Transport for Wales
- Fintech Finance News: Unicard enables Transport for Wales to rollout contactless card payments on trains, ensuring the best fares
- FinTech Global: Unicard deploys contactless rail travel with Transport for Wales
- Payment Expert: Unicard provides smart ticketing services for Welsh commuters
- Global Railway Review: Unicard deploys contactless rail travel with Transport for Wales
- Railway Technology: Unicard set to offer contactless payments across Transport for Wales network
- The Fintech Times: Transport for Wales: Second Only to TfL to Deploy Contactless EMV Card Payments
- City Transport and Traffic Innovation: Transport for Wales rolls out contactless card payments on train routes
You can also read more about the Unicard Ticketing Hub announcement on our website: Unicard deploy contactless rail travel with Transport for Wales